Re: Intent to repackage a whole lot of webmin stuff

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:48:03PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> 4: All those tiny packages are bloat and unnecessary work for the FTP
> admins.
>
> answer:  Nobody uses every single webmin module.  From the security
> standpoint and common sense it is not a good idea to have installed stuff
> you don't actually use.  Every user I've talked to has liked the idea of
> mddules being seperately installable and removable.  This way involves
> some extra work for thew FTPadmins yes, but by dividing webmin into small
> discrete w packages actually makes it easier for them because they can add
> the new packages at their leisure without disrupting the other ones.

Bah.  Apache comes with a zillion modules, but most of them are in
the main package.  To enable and disable them, you just have to edit
a file, not download or remove packages.  I think it's a poor
practice to overload package selection as a means of configuring
applications.

Note also that the "flexibility" that webmin users may like is just
distraction for everyone else.  For example, when browsing newly
available packages, I have to skip over the webmin
module-of-the-week.

I think it would be better to split the package on the "usual"
criteria, such as upstream practices, large package size, and
onerous dependencies.

Andrew