Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

Hi, Russell, you mean to look into this?  Let me see.

[With due respect to the DD, I had to admit my knowledge is very
limitted one.  So read it as such.]

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:07:37AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Change type to ext3 in /etc/fstab
>
> /etc/fstab is on the root file system.  Therefore it's impossible for
> the contents of /etc/fstab to influence the root mount process unless
> somehow the boot loader takes note of it.
To me this is what I thought initially.  Remember boot process mount
root partition as RO and run fsck on it.  Appearently, fsck actually run
program fsck.* based on /etc/fstab entry.  Thus stupid fsck.ext3,ext2
symlink (Yes it looks like it is better to be symlink) is needed.  So
above message is not completely correct.  If fsck is successful, it
remounts as RW.

I thought loading modules ext3 and ext2 in this order and mounting ext3
enabled root file system gave me ext3 system.  My /proc/mounts:

/dev/root.old /initrd cramfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0

> > Normally I'd charge a consulting fee, but I'll let you slide this time.
>
> In future please be absolutely certain that you are correct before saying
> such things.
Wow. Anyway, this does not looks like message Russell mentioned.  Let me
dig further :)
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.