Re: draft release announcement

* Thomas Bushnell, BSG (tb@becket.net) wrote :
> Thom May <thom@debian.org> writes:
>
> > For a lot of users, politics is a distant second to our
> > _technical_ achievements, which is what a release announcement needs to
> > (and does, it's excellently written) highlight.
>
> Sez who?  Of course we should highlight techincal achievements, but
> not as if they are the only things that matter.

So the references already in the announcement aren't enough for you?
the first paragraph sayÑ?
"""
It is developed by nearly a thousand volunteers from all over
the world who collaborate via the Internet. Debian's dedication to
free software, its non-profit nature, and its open development model
make it unique among Linux distributions.
"""

And there are more explicit references to our politics and our ethics
throughout the document. I'm not proposing to take any of that out.
(The last paragraph, for example.)

> > If we don't attract users to our Debian GNU/Linux, then they go to Red Hat
> > and whoever else who explicitly _don't_ call their system GNU/Linux.
>
> Huh?  So they will leave because they are turned off by the name
> GNU/Linux, but they don't understand that name?  Or they are so daft
> they can't make sense of the name even when we tell them?

What? Bogging a document down with political commentary that is widely
available on the internet for anyone who cares to look for it is not
required or helpful.
I nowhere said that anyone would be turned off by the name. Please read what
I wrote.
I also never wrote anything about leaving. I wrote about _attracting_ which is an
entirely different kettle of fish.

> Never mind, I don't think it's worth discussing further.

Hmm. I think a discussion happens when both sides are willing to take on the
other person's ideas and at least consider them.

Cheers,
-Thom

--
Thom May -> thom@debian.org

"We shall not make Britain's mistakes. Too wise to try to rule the world,
we shall merely own it".
--Ludwell Denny