Re: draft release announcement

* Thomas Bushnell, BSG (tb@becket.net) wrote :
> Thom May <thom@debian.org> writes:
>
> > * Thomas Bushnell, BSG (tb@becket.net) wrote :

> > > And you think they are going to be confused?
> >
> > I think it's entirely possible.
>
> If this is true, then we should add an explanation of why we say
> "GNU/Linux" to make sure they are not confused.
>
> (I happen to think nobody will be confused; I'm just pointing that, if
> you think people will be confused, the right way to fix the confusion
> is to explain the reason we use the terms we do.)

Which we do on the website.
Release announcements are advertising. They need to be:
informative, easy for the average person to read and comprehend, and easy
for people to espouse and popularise.
Using a potentially unfamiliar term in such an environment is not good. If
we create interest enough to attract the reader to the website, _then_ they
can read about our politics and our ethics.
(Yes, I have worked for advertising companies - from experience, if people
do not understand something they get turned off and annoyed very rapidly)
-Thom
--
Thom May -> thom@debian.org

Fools! This vampire has crossed milennia, seen the
births and deaths of nations, has seen the very sands of time run through his
fingers- do not underestimate him, simply because now he runs a chip shop.