Re: Preliminary SDL 1.2.3+cvs packages available

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:11:52AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > The current SDL packages are unreleasable.  Have you taken a look at the
> > reverse dependencies for SDL recently?
> >
> > Reverse Depends:
> >   mirrormagic,libsdl1.2debian
> >

> For what it's worth, the current mirrormagic seems happy with the new libsdl.

Yes, the concerns I expressed in my first message were quite incorrect, as
was explained to me calmly less than ten hours after I posted the message.
The arguments with Anthony about it are primarily focused around his
conclusion from my inital message that the packages will break things.
Had I been less (incorrectly) paranoid from the start, there would have
been no problem at all.

OTOH, the amount of testing that is going into these packages to satisfy
Anthony that they do not in fact break anything will probably make this
the smoothest update these packages have ever had.  SDL is regarded by
just most other archs as a total clusterfuck.  These packages are going to
change that if I have my way.

I'm still concerned about #79549 for Sparc.  It's an old bug, but there is
no indication that the 1.2.2 packages in Debian now fix it, let alone my
new ones.  I've asked debian-sparc to test them out and let me know, but
from what I understand the Sparc guys currently have much bigger worries
than whether a few games still segfault or not, so it may be a couple days
before someone can (hopefully) tell me that the bug is fixed and that my
new packages work flawlessly.  ;)

Other than that, I'm on target for my original plan to upload these things
Friday.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>         Do not write in this space

<Espy> we need to split main into"core" and "wtf-uses-this"