Re: Preliminary SDL 1.2.3+cvs packages available

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:34:55PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:06:19AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > >  - This undoes the changes Branden made back in October which altered the
> > >    SDL ABI.
> > Joseph, I sincerely hope you're well aware that this has no hope of getting
> > into the archive, let alone woody?
> > ABI changes have been out of the picture since December.
> I hope you bothered to read the thread to figure out WHY this needs to go
> in.

Joseph, I'm really sorry about this, but the time when you get to make
ABI changes like this really is over.

> This isn't some haphazard change just because a couple of maintainers and
> an upstream author felt inclined to suddenly break things.  It's a quickly
> planned and executed change which fixes non-Debian binaries in most cases
> that they possibly could be fixed, and probably does not break one single
> package in Debian.  I say probably because I have not (yet) personally
> tested them all.

And there's the problem. Everything seems quick and easy until you start
to roll it out across eleven archictectures and a few dozen packages.

I invite you to reread the message posted to -devel-announce way back
in November:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2001/debian-devel-announce-200111/msg00006.html

Library ABI changes aren't worth the price anymore.

Cheers,
aj

We came. We Saw. We Conferenced. http://linux.conf.au/

  ``Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
       toe individually.'' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey