Re: kissing exim

On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 02:43, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> A dialup networking task is what I would like to see here.  Configuring
> Exim to hand mail to a smarthost proved to be too difficult for me.  The
> questions in Eximconfig option #2 for dialup when answered to the best
> of my ability, always failed to generate a good configuration for Exim.
> The best I ever managed was to have Exim configured to behave as though
> my box was my ISP.  Editing the Exim config file by hand was a daunting
> task because so many config options deal with issues that I have no clue
> about. sSMTP writes a good configuration for my purposes, by asking only
> three clear questions.  It should be possible for eximconfig to do the
> same - if "dialup" is chosen as the config option.
>
> My problem is more with the choice of tool than with exim's quality
> (which I do not question) or with eximconfig's useability (which I
> should file a bug against - if I was chiefly concerned with using exim).
> In keeping with the unix way of having many small applications to do
> specific tasks, a dialup user (especially a newbie) should indeed be
> able to select a task such as "dialup" and then select the mta best
> suited to their needs.  Mail is a basic function for a networked box and
> a newbie, having selected "dialup" should be able to have an mta that is
> "right" for the selected task - configured and functional with ease.
> sSMTP may be a better choice than Exim in this case.

I was for a while working on an MTA called LIBBY (Little Internet's Best
Basic Yabber) for doing exactly this task - all it does is store mail
received thru /sbin/sendmail or SMTP.  Then another program is run that
dlivers mail to local users or a smart host.  I never finished the
program out of lack of interest (I know happily use Exim on a permanent
internet connection), but if nothing that handles the task adequately
exists in Debian, I could start working on that project again...