Proposal: Why not use testing-proposed-updates?

[Credit for the writing of this goes to Robot101. The ideas where hashed
out by a number of us though. We're fully expecting someone to turn
round and tell us exactly why it won't work. Robert isn't on
debian-devel so please Cc him on replies. I am however, so I'll read it
onlist.]

Our current release paradigm is one where non-buggy, arch-synched and
dependency-satisfied packages work their way from unstable to testing
after a suitable cooling off period. The principle is that this makes
testing a known less-buggy platform, to make it easier to release with
simple snapshots. However, this has several flaws:

 * As stable becomes more and more out of date, more and more people
will turn to using testing. With the increased usage, it is inevitable
that bugs will be filed against testing itself, taking it further from
the ideal bug-free snapshottable release platform that we desire.

 * These bugs are far harder to fix than you might think. Besides the
taboo against NMUs which aj is fighting valiantly to weaken, unstable
can progress significantly very quickly, with new problems, library
dependencies, etc, being added. This means that to fix a small bug that
crops up in testing, a package in unstable has to be made un-buggy and
buildable.

 * Testing is popular and with increased usage comes increased demand
for security updates and advisories. While testing is fenced off, and
all upgrades must move through unstable, the potential for broken
packages in unstable to hold up security fixes to testing is not
insubstantial.

Bearing these in mind, the idea of having another way to get updates
into testing may not be as bizzare as it sounds. The proposed
testing-proposed-update release (which already seems to exist, but I do
not know the conditions of it's use) would be subject to the same
criteria to progress into testing as packages in unstable are.

However, the conditions for upload would be similar to those for when
stable/testing freezes. Only security updates, and RC bugfixes, are
allowable into testing-proposed-updates, and new upstream versions only
allowed when they are only for these purposes.

Packages for upload to t-p-u (testing-proposed-updates) should be built
on testing, and this means that buildd chroots would be required to
build the uploads for the other architectures in testing. However, I
think it's worth it. Another consideration is that the testing script
would need to heed BTS tags, so that bugs in sid didn't count against
things in t-p-u, and vice versa. I believe it already does this, but I'm
not sure to what extent.

Another massive advantage of this is that it becomes possible to upload
security updates to testing without them being subject to being held up
by breakage in new upstream etc packages in unstable. A testing security
team could (perhaps with some common members to the stable team) track
new issues and fix them for testing with backports and patches like the
stable team already does.

This dual-feed approach to testing should bring us much closer to the
ideal of having a testing that remains bug-free and current enough so
that a 6-monthly snapshot release can be considered a reality. The
bugsquash parties and NMUers could feed fixes into t-p-u and fix RC bugs
quickly without trampling on the maintainer's toes with the latest
unstable version, which is where I'm assuming the most effort of a
maintainer is dedicated.

This could be considered what should/would happen when testing freezes.
However, this looks quite unlikely while testing remains buggy, and this
remains hard to fix while unstable lives up to it's name, and tracks the
cutting edge - as it should. There's no reason we can't have t-p-u as a
way to get simple and security fixes into testing fast, so that
releasing needn't be such a hassle.

J.

--
/-\                             |   Eat a prune.  Start a movement.
|@/  Debian GNU/Linux Developer |