Re: Gnome & /usr/local policy

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:27:04AM -0500, Justin Hahn wrote:
> IIRC, this is a known problem in GNOME. I filed a bug on this with them back
> in the pre-1.0 days and they marked it as won't fix. A bug relating to this
> is probably still in their bug tracker. They don't seem to care much.
>
> IIRC, it's because the prefix gets hard coded into the GNOME libraries. It's
> quite ugly actually.

If you're right, this sounds like an excellent opportunity for Debian
to do the Right Thing (tm) even though upstream doesn't.

So we just need someone to go and root out all the hard-coded paths
and replace them with hardcoded path-*lists*... and then we'll be able
to pass the compile options to make sure /usr/local/foo is in there
whenever /usr/share/foo is.

Volunteers?

Jules