Re: adduser rewrite

> Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org> writes:
>
>> David Nusinow wrote:
>> > 	Ok, I've started a little bit on the adduser rewrite, and I'm going
>> > 	to keep
>> > hacking away at it tonight. Does someone want to take deluser or
>> > collaborate  on adduser with me?
>>
>> I'm actually also looking how adduser could be implemented in C. I
>> borrowed quite a few ideas from cdebconf... This will take some time
>> until it works though.
>
> You might also want to have the following features:
>
> - Better integration with NIS and/or LDAP (support for either is
>   currently inexistent)

Yes!  Please please!  I'm dying for LDAP integration!!!

Perhaps a plugin model, similar to how PAM works, is in order?  Then I could
use an LDAP backend, NIS, passwd, MySQL, whatever I had a plugin for.  The
command-line arguemtns need a way to specify which database to add a user
to, plus the config file needs to be able to specify a default.

> - Adduser/deluser triggers (/etc/adduser.d /etc/deluser.d) so that
>   packages can install some scripts to be ran when a user is added or
>   deleted... The following applications come to mind:
>
>      * Could be used to create accounts in other databases
>        (eg. cyrus-imapd) when a system account is created...
>
>      * Could be used to delete per-user files (eg. we maintain
>        per-user httpd logs in /var/local/ which could be purged
>        automagically when the accounts are deleted).

Ya, that would be excellent, especially if the Debian Samba package
maintainer used that.  It's a pain right now to keep user accounts and
passwords syncronised.