Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Michael Bramer wrote:

<snip>
> make a calculation:
> if we support only 10 languages (btw: we have 38 kde-i18n-* packages)
> and now the descriptions of all sid/main/binary-i386 packages is
> 3 MB, we have 30 MB (with 38 packages 114MB). Maybe all in one file...

That would be stupid. It's perfectly possible to split the descriptions up
in different Packages-files, with untranslated descriptions in English. I
don't see a problem there.

OTOH, I _do_ see a problem with a centralized .deb that contains all
translated descriptions: it's very likely to
- lag behind.
- contain errors.

Simply because the package maintainer does not have control over it as he
does over his own packages. This can be fixed with translations in the
.deb, and something like the overrides-file when there's no reaction (not
a "No", not a "Yes", simply nothing).

<snip>

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be