Re: ITC: dpkg-sysconfig

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:31:33AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:27:34AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 05:21:42PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what you mean...I think you're confusing UNIX groups with
> > > cfengine classes.
> >
> > No I do not think so. Because it was discussing NIS groups and how
> > to specify them.
>
> The syntax:
>
> myclass = ( host1 host2 )
>
> Specifies that host1 and host2 are members of the cfengine class myclass,
> while:
>
> myclass = ( +netgr )

Ohh I see. I did probably not read it close enough. :)

> Specifies that all hosts in the netgroup netgr are members of the cfengine
> class myclass.  Neither of these statements modify NIS group memberships;
> the latter is just a convenient way to use netgroup definitions in classes.
>
> > > I don't think there is a built-in capability for adding a user, but it
> > > would be a good addition to the program, and probably easy to implement.
> > > Even without extending cfengine, it is easy to add a user to a Debian
> > > system using a shellcommand rule and adduser.
> >
> > Yes, that is what I'm using today. :)
>
> The nice thing about having a user-adding capability in cfengine would be
> that it could (eventually) do the right thing on many systems (Debian, Red
> Hat, Solaris, etc.).

Yes that would be a nice thing. But I'll concentrate on debian in the
first place. But patches will be welcome as soon as I have something that
I can publish. Right now the tool is connected too tight into our
server structure. :)

Regards,

// Ola