Re: Who is a Debian user?

To all people that answered me, I think you are missing my point - or - I do not express myself well enough.

My point is not that it is impossible for users to use these programs. It is very possible. You have to tweak the path settings, or use the absolute path every time. The reason for this seems to be traditional, and/or because Debian users are not expected to use these programs because that is something that only the admin should do.

It seems that in many situations when a design issue is discussed on Debian lists, the decision is not guided so much on making it easy for the user. The user is rather expected to RTFM. But even if you are a very intelligent user, RTMF takes time, and when you have to do it a lot, it adds up.

I tried to show that there are cases when users have a good reason to run these programs. I have many times had the need to use them, myself or telling other people to run them. And it has not been on my computer, or a computer I can administer. It has been just any computer where I have "borrowed the prompt". And to me Debian is not "helpful" in this situation.

Translated to a social situation, it is like if I asked my Debian box:

"Hi Debian, can you tell me what IP-addresses are attached to your network interfaces?"

it pretends to look clueless:

"IP-addresses? Network interfaces? What are you talking about?"

or maybe arrogant:

"IP-addresses? What, why do you want to know? You are only a user. I am Mr Debian to you! If you want to know, you should at least ask nicely!"

or perhaps suspicious:

"Hmmm... do I know you? We have not been properly introduced. I will not help you."

Would it not be easier just to tell me? After all, it is not a secret

Claes

Hämta MSN Explorer kostnadsfritt på http://explorer.msn.se