Re: sysklogd => syslog-ng

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:18:13 +0200,
  Dominik Kubla <kubla@sciobyte.de> wrote:
> Very bad idea because the configuration file syntax is not compatible
> with the Unix standard.  Doing this would instantly kill Debian in
> heterogenous environments. (Yes people could install sysklogd instead,
> but people are lazy...)

sysklogd's config file syntax is simple enough(and syslog-ng's is complex
enough) that I think writing a sysklogd -> syslog-ng config-file
converter would be relatively trivial.

(I would like to point out that if distributions[including Debian]
refused to change "standard" software because the config file format of
the new utils is different than the old one, then we probably wouldn't
have anywhere near as nice a distribution ;)

Anyways, syslog-ng *is* sysklogd compatible, as far as applications are
concerned. So if an admin thought "Jessus, how the hell am I supposed to
configure this thing? I don't have time for that!", and 'apt-get install
sysklogd' would solve the problem.

I am fairly ambivalent when it comes to what is the "default"(it's
trivial enough to switch), I just wanted to put in my two cents ;)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \