Re: networking in rcS

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 11:32:40PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 05:17:24PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out why networking, and whole bunch of other items,
> > are in rcS.  I've been fighting with a networking issue over the last day or
> > so, and having single user mode bring up networking has been rather
> > troublesome to determining this problem.
> >
> > I'm sure there is a rational for it, so could someone please explain it to
> > me.  Thanks,
>
> I believe it's called a bug.  Please report it to the BTS.

It is not a bug.

networking is in rcS.d for (at least) the following reason:
  S35mountall.sh - mounts local filesystems
  S40networking  - starts networking
  S45mountnfs.sh - mounts NFS volumes from other servers

Machines that mount their /usr or /usr/share or whathaveyou remotely
would like to have networking up before attempting to mount those
volumes.

Moving S40networking out of rcS.d will require moving S45mountnfs.sh as
well (along with who knows what).

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi
[dpkg] We are the apt. Resistance is futile. You will be packaged.