Re: A section for commercial software?

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 04:55:00PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> > Please, don't start putting stuff in /opt. This is a place where the
> > sysadm can put his stuff and I dont want to see that packages are
> > starting to put stuff in there.
>
> You are confused about what /opt is for, please read what the FHS
> has to say about it.

I consider the FHS broken in this regard.

The only sane distinction to make is between .debs, which try to conform
to as many Debian policies as possible, and non-debs, which you untar
into /opt.

A .deb unpacking into /opt has no added value to me, it will just help
to confuse.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed