Re: ITP: laptop-netconf -- a network detection and configuration program

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 11:10:26PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> *  (Andrew Pimlott)
>
> |     It is possible to define one or more fixed leases in the client
> |     configuration  file for  networks  where there is no DHCP or
> |     BOOTP service, so that the client  can  still  automatically
> |     configure  its address.
>
> Does it support hooks?  i.e., when at home, I have a different
> /etc/apt/sources.list than at work, than at university etc.

Yes, although I have not used them, the documentation describes a
mechanism for hooks to run before and after a the standard
got-a-lease rigmarole.  They have access to detailed information
about the lease, and the pre- script can even fix it up.  In fact,
all the system modification after getting a lease is done in a shell
script, so you can easily see what's going on and tweak it.

dhclient is surprisingly featureful.

Andrew