Re: Packaging static-only lib?

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:32:33PM +0200, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> Sure it's capable of non-interactive uses as well, but watching a live
> stream is the main application. That said, I never intended to exclude
> non-x86 users - I run Debian on ppc and alpha myself. I wanted to know if
> it was okay to deviate from policy in order to not exclude _x86_ users.
> Well, the only issue remaining, that if I only build a libdv-dev on x86,
> I'd like to keep it consistent across platform and provide a static lib
> only even on archs where the shared lib isn't broken. But that's a minor
> problem in my opinion. The policy violation being the main issue.

Daniel, I would suggest that you don't build a shared package if the
upstream is not supporting shared libs. There is more about shared libraries
one has to care about - for example interface changes. If upstream
does not use the code as shared library they will not care much if
binary compatibility is broken and you will probably end up with doing
a new libdvx.y.z package for each upstream release which is not pretty
IMHO.

I think policy needs a change there. Small libraries should be static
if you gain nothing by making them shared.

cu
	Torsten