Packaging static-only lib?

Moi!

I'm currently trying to package libdv, a library to de- and encode
Digital Video data. On x86, it makes heavy use of optimised assembler
routines that are non-relocatable. Therefore, building a shared lib of
libdv fails miserably. I've contacted upstream, and they prefer to only
distribute a static lib because performance will drop otherwise. Fine
by me, so I'd like to only build a libdv-dev package (and maybe a libdv-bin
for some runtime binaries). Policy, however, apparently mandates shared
versions of every lib package. Quoting sect. 11.2.:

     All libraries must have a shared version in the lib package and a
     static version in the lib-dev package.

So what's your opinion about this? Am I misreading policy? Should I go
modify the code to build also as a shared lib? Or do you think my
proposed scheme is just fine?

Best regards,

Daniel.

--