Re: testing is broken

* Wichert Akkerman (wichert@cistron.nl) wrote:

> And if you just use apt-get to do an upgrade you will horribly break
> upgrades since split packages use Recommends and those won't
> be installed automatically. I've seen way too many complaints
> about that already.

	I find this to be a problem with how packages are split.  I'm
	trying to understand why something like this wouldn't make
	more sense:

orig_package->virt_package(with same name)->(depends)new_package1
                                         \->(depends)new_package2

	If a package is split then the old package provided the
	functionality (probably) of both new packages, yet only
	one of them is installed and the other is just 'Recommended'?
	I'm all for splitting packages where it makes sense to, but
	effectively removing packages/functionality from my system
	without explicitly saying so is evil..

			Stephen