Re: portability as a goal for debian?

Robert Norris <rob@nauseum.org> writes:

> As I see it, Debian is an operating system in its own right. It uses
> Linux (or the Hurd) as its kernel, with a (mostly) GNU userspace.

Policy is a lot of it.

You can use any tool and depend on any userspace in debian, if only
you declare a depency on it (which happens packagewise). I see no
reason not to allow a depency on fileutils-bsd, if there were such
package, but the same package name/version should provide the same
functionality on every Debian platform.

So if you're depending om make.deb you can use GNU extensions because
the make packages is GNU make.

--
Free beer får det bedste frem i en pingvin.
http://peter.makholm.net/beer/