Re: portability as a goal for debian?

> Portability, like everything, is a compromise. It's extra code to
> be written and debugged,

Often portability means not extra code but The Right Style of Coding.

> It often reduces clarity of the code,

Often portability means more clear code. But you should understand that
"Portability" is not "a zillion of #ifdefs" but "the right way of coding".
Non-portable code often means design flaws.

> lines of bugprone code. How is it a win for Debian if a maintainer
> replaces a one-line find command with a 40 line script that's not
> nearlly as reliable?

Do you really need 40 line script to add '-print' option? :)

--
Alexey Vyskubov
(at home)