Re: portability as a goal for debian?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 06:24:52PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> Now we all know that Portability is a Good Thing (c) and should
> be an aim in general (like 64-bit cleanness, good programming
> style and robustness).

Portability, like everything, is a compromise. It's extra code to
be written and debugged, often on systems that the author has no
access to. It often reduces clarity of the code, and can require
clean uses of library functions or programs to replaced with many
lines of bugprone code. How is it a win for Debian if a maintainer
replaces a one-line find command with a 40 line script that's not
nearlly as reliable?

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and