Re: tar -I incompatibility

     > On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:12:59AM +1100, Sam Couter wrote:
    >> Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
    >> wrote: > Just as linux-centric as the other way is
    >> solaris-centric.
    >>
    >> Not true. There's the way GNU tar works, then there's the way
    >> every other tar on the planet works (at least with respect to
    >> the -I option). GNU tar is (used to be) the odd one out. Now
    >> you're saying that not behaving like the odd man out is being
    >> Solaris-centric? I don't think so.

I worked and still work on several paltform and the first think I
usually do is make them compatible:

compile bash, make, gcc, bash (again, to correct the stupid cc bugs),
make, automake, autoconf, zsh, xemacs, tar, gzip, bzip2, qvwm.

All the normal tools from comercial unixes are all proprietary to
their system. The only way to standardise those is to use the free
comon source of what we have under linux.

So I say that what debian uses can be the default on all unix systems.

Just my 2c.
        Goswin