Re: tar -I incompatibility

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> PS: Why not change the Solaris version to be compatible with the widely used linux version? I'm sure there are more people and tools out there for linux using -I then there are for solaris.

This is an incredibly Linux-centric point of view. You sound worse than the
BSD bigots.

There are many, many, many different unices that are *not* Linux. You can't
hope to change them all to be Just Like Linux (tm). You'll be lucky if any of
them follow Linux behaviour, rather than the other way around.

Hint: Adopt some cross-platform habits like:
"bzip2 -dc foo.tar.bz2 | tar xf -"

Not only will you then become more immune to changes in behaviour that was
non-standard to begin with, you'll also find adjustment to other systems a
lot easier.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |