Re: woody Debian Installer plans

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 06:18:02PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> The debian installer team is currently planning how the next installer
> will work, documents describing these plans are at
> http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/

[...]

> If anyone has has strong opinions on the installer i would encourage
> them to checkout the documents and recent threads on debian-boot mailing
> list and discuss there thoughts on the debian-boot mailing list.

Well, the documents are short on details and full of linuxisms, but this was
probably to be expected.

It seems that a lot of those "modules" would need to be rewritten for the
Hurd ("mounting" for example works different on the Hurd than under linux).
It would be nice if you can keep this in mind.

Also, it always talks about lilo/silo. It would be nice if we could enter
the 21. century and use GRUB. This also helps the Hurd of course, because it
is the only boot loader we can use. (GRUB is under active development, and
it is a great bootloader, with menus, file system support etc etc).

Because everything is supposed to be modular, I expect to be able to disable
all those nifty linux-only modules when starting to work on Hurd boot disks,
so I don't have to say much about those.

Thanks,
Marcus