Re: smtube, youtube-dl and other apps that work with youtube

I didn't know about backports, although I am a long time Debian user.
Maybe it's because I was lazy to read any manual :).

I am on Debian 10 stable and I can confirm that youtube-dl works via
backports.

I followed the instructions on:
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ and it worked.

First I opened a new file called backports.list under
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (e.g. emacs
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list)

Inside the file I put the line:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main

Then I ran: sudo apt update
sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install youtube-dl

It works flawlessy.

I also agree that using backports would be to use Debian backports. The
slightly outdated software versions on Debian was bothering me for a
long time, I always thought backports was something used for older
versions of Debian, to port Debian 10 level software back to them. It
is fantastic that backports work on the latest stable debian :).