Re: Suggestion about the graphical interface in Debian

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:01:03 +0100
Jorge Chaves <jorgechavesgonzalez@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jorge, I'm from Spain and a beginner Debian user.
>
> I've been reading this link:
> https://www.debian.org/contact
>
> And after sending this message to the Debian sysadmin team, I've been
> searching and I think that this could be a suitable place to express
> my suggestion.
>
> But if I send this email to a wrong address, please let me know so
> that I can send it to the right people. I'm not subscribe to this
> mailing list, but you can answer to this message through my e-mail:
> jorgechavesgonzalez@gmail.com
>
> The suggestion is about the graphical interface (I'm using GNOME right
> now, but I think that could be useful for other graphical interfaces)
> and here it goes, I think that...
>
> - The key "Supr" could send a selected archive or folder to the Trash
> (with a confirmation window before sending it to the Trash).
>
> - You clic over the name of the archive or folder one time, can rename
> that archive or folder.

Sorry to put it to you, but I don't think this is really Debian's
responsibility. Debian fixes bugs and stabilises upstream packages- it
is not within the scope of the project to make major modifications to
the functionality of packages such as the components of the GNOME
environment. If you wish to see functionality changes in GNOME, I
suggest you pose your suggestions to the GNOME devs rather than the
Debian community.

Firstly, the Super key is already bound by default to switch to the
overview, so there would be some conflict there, and one functionality
or the other would have to be chosen. I think Super opening the
overview is more conducive to good workflow (from my experience
using GNOME 3- I use MATE now). Secondly, I don't think it's wise
to waste such a prominent key on a deletion function.

I don't really understand your second suggestion. If you meant that one
click on an item should open the rename box for that item, then that's
not really a good idea because single-click currently handles selection
and has always done so (and in some cases activation as well).

If you meant that a click on the item name after selection should open
the rename box for that item, then the suggestion is redundant since
that is the status quo.

Please clarify.

The Debian Desktop team deal with matters pertaining to the state of
the desktop experience under Debian specifically, not upstream
functionality. Go ask the GNOME people if you have any suggestions.