Re: Fluxbox - Debian Pure Blend

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo,
> * Stephan Foley [Mon, Jan 04 2016, 01:37:33PM]:
>> We are currently looking for more developers, so any and all
>> contributions are needed. This will be the lightest WM fully
>> configured out of the box for Debian...much lighter than Xfce. Please
>
> They are plaing in a different league... you might want to read the
> conclusion from...
>
>> see:
>>
>> https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/
>
> ... this page: https://l3net.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops-part-3/

Hi Eduard and thanks for the input. If I follow your comment
correctly, I think that's exactly my point. Fluxbox has a tiny profile
and offers up excellent windows management on Xorg. It doesn't do much
else. But, it does give one a blank slate to define all the other user
interfaces. This is normally done with helper packages such as tint2
or virtual windows pagers.

Gnome et al one the other hand uses the kitchen sink approach of
throwing everything you could possible imagine into a windows manager
and, thus, comes in with a much larger profile.