oem-config for Debian

Hello,
I'm a fairly new contributor to Debian and I have some interest in making Debian more friendly to regular users.

One of the things I thought would be helpful would be to have something like Ubuntu's oem-config tool [1] for Debian. It's also been asked for on a Debian user forum [2]. I think it would be a nice way to be able to set up a computer for someone and can point out to them where they can find help and support, how to report bugs, where to find documentation for packages, and other things like that when they turn on their Debian computer for the first time. This, in addition to allowing them to set up their own user account, time-zone, and such.

I don't know if Utnubu is still active, but I included its mailing list since this appears to fall within its mission. I cannot commit any time for this as of yet, but I may be able to do something here and there. I'd like to know where I should set up a repository for this project if anyone else thinks it's a good idea.

Many thanks and regards
Afif

1. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+package/oem-config
2. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48537