Re: Release Team Sprint Results

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 10:08:18 +0800 Paul Wise wrote:

> I am not any of the responsible people, but:
[...]

Hello Paul,
thanks for your kind reply.

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Francesco Poli wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this is not too clear to me: does this message (which was sent
> > to <debian-devel-announce@l.d.o>) mean that the Jessie default theme
> > has already been decided?
>
> Yes:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/2014/09/msg00002.html

Mmmmh... the cited message states, in part:

[...]
| > For the scripted / XML parts it’s all based on Joy and former work and
| > can be published under the same license(s).
| > The KDM icons are from Joy also.
| > The main artwork is already stated as CC-BY 3.0 by Juliette on the wiki.
[...]

Now, as stated on the debian/copyright file of the desktop-base package:

[...]
| The Joy theme is © 2012 Adrien Aubourg and released under the GPLv2
| license.
[...]
| The Joy plymouth script is Copyright © 2009 Canonical Ltd.,
| Copyright © 2010 Aurélien COUDERC and Copyright © 2012 Jonathan Carter under
| the GPLv2+.
[...]
| The Joy KDM  theme is © 2012 Eshat Cakar and © 2010 Roman Shtylman GPLv2
| with artwork from Adrien Aubourg under the GPLv2 license.
[...]

[quoted from
https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/d/desktop-base/copyright-8.0.0~exp1
]

The question is: how can the Lines theme be released under CC-by-v3.0,
when it's in part based on material available under GPL-v2 ?
These two licenses are notoriously incompatible with each other.

I think that Juliette Belin should be asked to re-license the Lines
theme under the terms of the GNU GPL v2.
Or, at least, to dual-license it.

> > Moreover, are some (or all) of these proposed themes going to be
> > included in the desktop-base package?
> > Or just the "chosen one"?
>
> Just the chosen one
>
> We have wanted multiple theme packages in Debian for a long time but
> it hasn't happened yet.
[...]

That's unfortunate. Things like boot loader or display manager themes
should be made easy to choose for the system administrator...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 fsck is a four letter word...