De: "Aurélien COUDERC" <zecoucou@free.fr>
À: debian-desktop@lists.debian.org
Envoyé: Dimanche 31 Août 2014 23:23:08
Objet: Re: Artwork for jessie?

Le 30/08/2014 22:13, Vincent Blut a écrit :
> Le jeu. 28 août 2014 à 11:29, juliette.belin@free.fr a écrit :
>
>>  and the Plymouth theme (I was thinking about a line representing the
>> process but I dont know how to do that... maybe a script ?).
>
> I don’t know Plymouth well enough but I guess you would have to
> decompose your progress bar by creating a picture for each progression
> step
> (pixel by pixel‽). Then, I think you would have to incrementaly load your
> progress bar pictures (using a "for" loop) in your "lines.script" files.
>
> But let’s wait someone with deeper knowledge about Plymouth.
Hi,

I did the scripting of the spacefun theme for squeeze, so I may be of
some help.

- The easy way for plymouth is indeed the « script » module that lets
you animate the bootup screen with a relatively easy (but limited)
javascript-like scripting language [1]. You may render text, images and
that’s it.

- It’s better to handle the theme elements separately and compose them
on the screen with a plymouth script. If you can layer the SVG to
separate the background, the logo, the curves it would be useful. We can
then scale/crop the background to fill the screen but keep the other
elements in the correct position whatever the screen ratio.

- There is no real way to know the progress of the boot process as it
depends on many things, so a progress bar in the traditional sense is
not recommended. Better try with a loopable animation. I think pulsing
some of the curves lines in your theme with a whiter dot/section like
electrons orbiting around the debian logo would give a cool effect. If
you can produce the animation steps I can do the scripting or help you
with it.
In the meantime a simpler loopable progress bar can do.

- I’d like to see the « debian 8 » text for the boot, like you have in
the installer banner. Maybe in a corner or some better idea. We can
handle it as a separate element in the theme to ensure it’s always in
correct place and wholy visible.
It won’t go in the user’s way at that time, and it’s not as if the
universal operating system was so well known that it could afford
missing that little publicity. :-)

- It would be great to also have « debian 8 » displayed on the login
screen for the same reasons. It needs a bit of tweaking to the GDM /
KDM… theme to  ensure that it is always correctly placed and visible for
reasonable screen ratios. Again if you can think of somewhere reasonable
to put it in your team, I’ll give at least KDM a try.

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth/Scripts/

>> Regards
>> Juliette
>
> Wish you a good week-end,