Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> (22/06/2012):
> The last time we rushed new artwork into a release with a freeze
> exception, it introduced a serious bug into d-i's menu system that
> had to be fixed in a point release (#650979).

AFAICT we (release team) are not rushing anything, just stating that
beating the freeze isn't strictly needed, so that we get good, tested
patches, instead of having anything getting rushed.

Also, while we (the Debian Project) haven't managed to get the theme
part sorted out a few months after the release, we might manage to get
it done roughly around the freeze date, which means a 3-month
improvement.

Surely there's still room for progress here, but things look better to
me.

> Why are we encouraging doing this again?

I think what we really did was finding someone caring/interested enough
to pick up the job and do the work. As stated in other parts of this
thread, there were several calls for help in that area, which led
nowhere. I'm happy to take the blame for reaching the “we managed to
convince Paul to work on this” situation.

Mraw,
KiBi.