Re: How to change the GDM3 background picture in Debian GNU/Linux 7 (Wheezy)

On 03/13/2012 09:17 PM, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> This evening I was trying to find the correct way to set the GDM3 background-picture. I wanted to set it to my own image file journey-login-background.jpg. I thought I share the results.
>
> Obviously the way to set the GDM login picture has changed a lot in Wheezy.
>
> Formerly it has been configured by the desktop-base package in:
>
> /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config/10_desktop-base
> (/gdm3/10_desktop-base in the source-package)
>
> The line:
> /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.svg
> pointed to the login-background image.
>
> A second line was used to set how the picture is shown:
> /desktop/gnome/background/picture_options	zoom
>
> This doesn't seem to work anymore.
>

> Another way to set the login-background was to use similar lines in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults
>
> /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename	/usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.svg
> /desktop/gnome/background/picture_options	zoom
>
> This also doesn't work for me.
>

> Now with GDM3 the login-background obviously is set by GSettings.
>
> There seem to be three possibilities:
>
> 1.) Add these lines in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gsettings
>
> [org.gnome.desktop.background]
> picture-uri='file:///usr/share/images/desktop-base/journey-login-background.jpg'
> picture-options='zoom'
>
> In the last line you can choose between "zoom", "scaled" and "stretched".
>
> After changing the file you have to run:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
>
> to make the changes permanent. This worked for me.
>
> Source: http://www.stderr.nl/Blog/Software/Gnome/Gnome3-Gdm3-Background.html
>

> 2.) Set the background in the terminal. I didn't try it, but obviously it can be done this way.
>
> su -
> su - gdm -s /bin/bash
> `dbus-launch | sed "s/^/export /"`
> GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/images/desktop-base/journey-login-background.jpg"
>
> Please note that you must specify a file which user "gdm" has permission to read. For instance, user "gdm" cannot read files in your home directory.
>
> Sources: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/change-gnome-3-login-screen-gdm3.html
> Or: http://smashingweb.ge6.org/change-the-background-of-gnome-3-gdm-login-screen/
>

> 3.) Or, if you are just too lazy for that:
>
> - delete /usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.svg
> - create a symlink with the same name that points to the picture you want to use:
>
> ln -s /usr/share/images/desktop-base/journey-login-background.jpg /usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.svg
>
> (I used this as workaround when I created my theme.)
>
> Source: http://yumechanmiru.blogspot.com/2011/03/howto-change-login-screen-on-debian.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ulrich

Hi, I'm grateful that you posted this information. I'm an Xfce user, but
I have a friend who has been going nuts trying to figure out how to do
this. She finally prevailed upon me last evening to promise to help her
with this configuration issue. You've saved me from having to do a bunch
of research on a desktop manager that I don't use. Thanks!

Oh, and I thought I'd mention that I had previously set up her gdm
(version 2) to enable her to easily switch these backgrounds to match
her desktop wallpaper using a combination of the gdm-setup (sp?) applet
and a nice theme that I downloaded from one of the gnome theme download
sites. (I just created a gdm theme to match each of her favorite
wallpapers by archiving a copy of the wallpaper with the configuration
files for the theme, and then select the archive from gdm-setup.) It
would be cool for gnome users if things can go in that direction again.
I always thought it was kind of a neat thing to be able to do via GUI.

Thanks again, and best wishes on your continued endeavors in providing
candidate themes for Wheezy!

Regards,
Gilbert