Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:26:01 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> wrote:
> On ven., 2010-11-12 at 10:37 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I really think things could have done better. I think things could have
> done better since 3 releases, to be honest. Now nobody hide the fact
> that Debian artwork work is done on debian-desktop list (since 3
> releases at least). Everybody could have sent his opinion *before*.
> We're running out of time since quite some time already, we need to get
> this done *now*.

Hi,

I'd like to congratulate you on making a decision in the face of the
inevitable howls of protest, no matter what you do.

As you point out, if I were to expect to express an opinion, I should
have got involved earlier, as should everyone else.  I think we are far
too willing to criticise people who volunteer to make such decisions in
Debian, with the result that we often get a camel when we all wanted a
horse, because it falls to something like a committee putting everything
to a vote.

The example of the Millennium Dome in the UK comes to mind -- the project
was clearly doomed when a bunch of politicians decided that they should
be allowed to second guess the Creative Director, who quite rightly
resigned as a result.

I'm perfectly happy to have the people who have a track record for caring
about the look of the desktop, decide amongst themselves the look of the
next default desktop.

Personally, I run xmonad, and have the background set to the default
shade of blue, because I don't care about such things -- I'm pleased
that my opinion has been excluded from the vote, because my opinion is
clearly not worth having -- as it happens, I like the new theme.  So
what?  I'll only rarely see it.

So, for anyone that's tempted to criticise, please consider the chilling
effect that you're going to have on the enthusiasm of the people who are
going to have to make this and similar decisions in future.  By
criticising now you are damaging their ability to make _any_ decision
next time.

Anyone that really cares, should make sure they're involved in the team
that makes the decision from the start of the process, and contribute to
all of it, rather than just wanting to be allowed to cast an uninformed
vote.

I congratulate the debian-desktop folks for their bravery.

Cheers, Phil.