Random lockups

I'm using Debian Testing, and my computer randomly locks up. It doesn't
seem to be necessarily triggered by anything: Yesterday, I unplugged
the power and it suddenly locked up as I did so; whereas today I was
listening to an MP3 podcast in Totem and playing tetris (Quadrapassel)
when it suddenly locked up in between keypresses. It's happened on
other occasions for instance browsing the web, writing emails. I've
never come back to my computer to discover it hanged (although usually
I suspend it).

I don't know how to debug this problem, because it doesn't seem to
depend on what I'm doing and because the only thing I can do after it's
happened is restart my computer. Can someone give me some advice about
what to do? At this point I'm so confused I don't know what information
to provide, but for good measure here's my uname -a:

Linux cassowary 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 16:12:40 UTC 2010 i686
GNU/Linux

Thanks,
--
Tristan.