desktop-base/ciel and squeeze: plan of action
My understanding of where we are and what there is to do. Please comment if you disagree.
* We've chosen Ciel as the default theme for squeeze.
* therefore the squeeze theme "contest" is closed, and various pages
should probably be updated to reflect that
* For squeeze, ciel will be added to desktop-base (action: desktop-base
maintainers, which now includes me)
* For squeeze+1, themes will be individually packaged and the "chosen
theme" for a release can be depended upon by desktop-base
* the structure and layout of a theme package to be defined on the wiki
to aid people
The implication of the above is that all other new themes besides Ciel will
have to wait until squeeze+1 to be included in Debian officially, or be
accessed via backports.
desktop-base currently contains the moreblue theme. We will be adding ciel to
desktop-base in order to make it the "default". I propose we leave the
moreblue theme in desktop-base for squeeze as an option. If we removed it,
moreblue would not be available in squeeze (since otherwise it would need to
be in a NEW package). This will increase the size of desktop-base a little.
I define the "Ciel" theme to be
* the wallpapers
* the DM themes
* the icon theme (tango, + custom menu icon)
* clearlooks (since there is discomfort with changing the default gtk
engine at this point)
I am not sure what the KDE theme depends on. Can anyone enlighten me?