Re: Debian squeeze theme: dead in the water?

On lun., 2010-10-11 at 15:25 -0300, Valessio Brito wrote:
> I've been working on a theme funny (SpaceFun[0]), but I guess not
> appeal to everyone (businesses, severe environments, etc.).

I'm not so sure SpaceFun would be that problematic on business boxes.
They can always change the background to fit their need anyway. And
Debian is supposed to be fun, too.

> I made the effort to hear other proposals, it seems that only had two
> proposals: Debian Ciel[1]  and Nightly[2].

Ciel looks a bit too “empty” or “dreary”. Nice, but maybe a bit too
simple and with not enough color.

I like nightly though.

There's the “MoreBlue2Red” which could be an evolution from the Current
MoreBlue Orbit, though I'm not so sure I like the swirl stripping.

> Can I work on another proposal by adding the simplicity of "Ciel
> theme" and design of the Universe "Nightly + SpaceFun".

That could be the perfect theme :)

> I need two weeks to send something. Or we can work on the "Ciel
> Theme", "Space Fun" or "Nightly".

I think we could set a deadline (to oct 30?) for theme submission
(subject to validation from release team). Then some kind of informal
vote on debian-desktop, then an upload.

It shouldn't be too hard to add a new theme to desktop-base package, as
long as it's only splash and wallpapers. External packages (like grub,
gdm, plymouth...) might need a bit more time since it needs to be
coordinated with relevant maintainers. If GTK+ themes / Qt style are
involved, it can take a bit more time too, as we don't do it at the
moment. All in all, that's something which can be worked on before oct
30.

What do you think?

Cheers,
--