Re: garmin mounts as ttyUSB0

Reply to: pabs@debian.org
Original Message Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:14:15 +0900
RE: Re: garmin mounts as ttyUSB0   [See Original Message Below]

Yessir -- did and done.   Thanks for your reply.

Moreover, being a long-time user of Debian, I have always written to companies and
asked for exactly what you have suggested, or similar.  As we all know, we usually
don't get positive or proactive responses.  No "business case" is what we usually
hear.  Pfft.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/no-dice.png
http://www.debiantutorials.org/communication1.png

I have communication with the device.  (xgps is pretty neat) Plugging in the Garmin
and running:

# start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/gpsd -- -n -N -D 4
-P /var/run/gpsd.pid /dev/gps0

Establishes it.  Of course, I cannot mount /dev/gps0 because it's not a block
device (I'm looking...).  And the webupdater utility still refuses to see the device.

What rials me is that I have read about successful mounts in Ubuntu with the .27
kernel.    Grrrr.   Although not with the model I have.   However a Garmin driver has
been part of the kernel for a while already.  IIRC.

Worst case is that I walk upstairs and boot my kids Vista install (they dual boot
with Debian and never boot to ...vista, eww.) to accomplish this task, but...I'd
rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon.  This is Linux - there is a way!

I've got a ton of work to do today, as do we all, but I'm still looking around and
trying things out.  If anyone has had any success I would love to hear from you.  Or
any more insight or ideas, they'd be appreciated as well.

--machiner

Computers suck -- go meet your neighbors!