Re: /u/s/mime-info directory

> Is the complete /u/s/mime-info directory obsolete, or is there still a
> point in installing .mime and/or .keys files there?

The directory isn't obsolete. There's 53 packages that use it.
We have the Debian MIME support sub-policy [1].

See also mime-support package, referenced in dh_installmime debhelper script.

By the way, I guess some DE supports freedesktop shared MIME info
specification [2]. See shared-mime-info package. It uses /usr/share/mime
directory.

hope that helps.

cheers,

Fathi