Re: xfce4-mixer

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 04:54:19PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:

Hi Gustavo,

> On 7/24/07, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@corsac.net> wrote:
> > On lun, 2007-07-23 at 19:40 -0400, Darren Bowen wrote:
> > > But i have
> > > created a new user account on the same notebook for my sun. My suns
> > > xfce4 desktop mixer and panel volume does work. You can put the volume
> > > control in the panel, but in the properties dialog under
> > > devices it  only  shows  default device.  It  does  not  show  my
> > > driver.
> > > The  mixer  is  the same. I now the sound works because it works when
> > > in logged in under the account i created when i did the install.
> >
> > Try to add your son to audio group. Does it fix the problem?
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Just for the record, with GNOME you can go to
> System->Administration->User and Groups and add user in those groups
> in a easy way. It doesn't exhibit a list of groups or let users figure
> out the group by themselves, but they show roles instead (eg: audio is
> "Use audio devices").
>
> Under the hood there's users-admin part of gnome-system-tools. It
> seems that g-s-t is too much for Xfce so is there something that does
> the same? If yes, could you write here a step by step like I did
> above, please? We lack this kind of documentation (wiki.d.o is open to
> receive such stuff) about Debian Desktop usage. Same deal for KDE,
> anyone ?

If you know a user who has the privileges for audio and more, you can
check in which group he is with `groups <the_budy>`.  If you don't know
such a user, view the file /etc/group (cut -d: -f1 /etc/group).

And now for people lacking applications like g-s-t or kusers(?), the cli
tool usermod is for them of course :-)

usermod -aG audio,othergroup,... $USER

In which wiki page would you put information about the group handling?

> thanks in advance,
> -- stratus

Cheers,
Mike, not Yves-Alexis :p