Re: No need for C'n'R

On 1/25/07, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 03:25:38PM +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> I have read your blog post about C'n'R. I just wanted to drop you a note
> that I am working on porting Ubuntu's gnome-app-install to Debian. I
> think that a combination of apt-file and a local mirror could be used to
> create the app data set of Debian.

One thing where a CNR(-lookalike) would help would be at
packages.debian.org, it would rock if we could just add a link "Install
this package" to those pages and have it just work.

Exactly my point when i wrote about CNRs everywhere. We can do
something simpler with non-free section and watch the users benefit
from that.

(Before enrico bashes me: And integrate package tags in the search on
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages)

I think that debtags usage (and i'm part of that team too) should be
transparent in a "packages.d.o 2.0" or over non-free.debian.net. In a
way that a user searching for a bug tracking system wouldn't need to
know the related tags. Just type "bug tracking systems" and let the
search do the dirty job. How map tags back into phrases? I'm sure
Enrico and Erich have the answer.

I'm sick of being involved in so many things at the same time, but i
think i'll join this boat. It would be great for Lenny and usable in
some way after Etch release.

regards,
-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com