Re: desktop task: package list

On 11/28/06, Luis Matos <a26652@alunos.mec.ua.pt> wrote:
Ter, 2006-11-28 às 10:47 -0200, Gustavo Franco escreveu:
> On 11/27/06, Luis Matos <a26652@alunos.mec.ua.pt> wrote:
> > (...)

> > > I've started that article, and i'm maintaining it updated since then.
> > > What seems to be outdated for you?
> > >

> > for example, the tasksel status. the referred bug has been closed.
>
> There is no bug related with tasksel status. The only thing outdated
> there was the gnome-screensaver item, that i've changed and uploaded.
> Now the article was updated. Feel free to add items or update them
> though.

the gnome-tasksel says see bug 368518[0]. well ... the bug is fixed ..
so ... problem solved?

that bug yes, but take a look at what i wrote about gnome-tasksel in
my previous message and the list of current bugs. =)

could it be created a page for discussion of gnome-desktop task to
include.

Have fun at: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Tasks

i other related email, about the gnome task, Michael Banck says "Just
because some functionality is missing doesn't mean we should
include the next best program it implements, we might be stuck with
supporting it for years..."

well ... my point was to include in the gnome-desktop task a good gnome
based environment and not a gnome(project)-only packages.

Have you ever installed or looked into the gnome-desktop task package list?

besides, about chm, there is a good one in gtk2 and a ugly one in
wxwidgets, but the ugly one seems to support more features. None of them
are gnome supported, but including one of them would add a nice feature
to the desktop environment.

Let us prepare a list in the wiki.

another point that i am missing here are cd's ... all tasks must be in
the first cd ... or that does not matter?

They don't fit and does not matter.

"while contacts is nice (and I use it personally) having programs
duplicating functionality in the default install is confusing."

there is no pim application for gnome ( none that i see) except
evolution.

Evolution is good and i think that there is no substitute for it, but it
has a big weight to just look for a contact in the addressbook.

Agreed, but in terms of packages what can be added now and supported
during Etch support cycle ? AFAIK, nothing, so let us focus our work
on what we've not released yet (etch) and after that we can review it
for Lenny.

There is no duplicating funcionality, there is simplifying the
functionality. it is better to add some contact in evolution, if it is
an email or several contacts, but if you want to read one contact or to
only add a phone number ...

Sure.

regards,
-- stratus