Re: Debian Desktop (Status for Etch).

On 11/16/06, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@corsac.net> wrote:
On jeu, 2006-11-16 at 16:38 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> Lenny (Etch+1) material, right? Can't you follow the theme we will
> adopt into desktop-base out of desktop-base for xfce that we will
> release with Etch? In other words, let us work for: Same result but
> different approach (no desktop-base/xfce integration) for Etch and
> desktop-base/xfce integration for Lenny. Thoughts?

I can manage to have default wallpaper and splash screen for Xfce in
Etch, but it'll be the system configuration in /etc, so no real good way
for derivatives to use desktop-base plus other default files.

I know, and understand the problems for CDDs (that are not
derivatives, derivatives will hack around every random thing if
needed) - i'm managing a CDD project.

The problem for Etch is that we need to forget for at least one upload
the desktop-base thing. We all should follow the templates made by
Andre, then we will have visual consistency between our basic artwork
elements across the three desktop environments. It seems to be small,
but it isn't, believe in me. It isn't hard, and we should do it now.

After that, while the general freeze isn't in place, we can breath and
organize our stuff in desktop-base and try to push it before Etch.
debian-desktop alioth project is now under our administration, i'll
move desktop-base this weekend from pkg-gnome to our common svn repo
and that's it. Thoughts?

regards,
-- stratus