Re: improvements on desktop task

On 8/30/06, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 07:33:13AM -0300, André Felipe Machado wrote:
> The blog author, and the comments, points to SANE and CUPS.
> There also complaints about some codecs, java, flash, 3D video drivers
> and wireless.
> All of them can be installed in "debian way" by editing sources.list and
> selecting packages.
> Some could have newer versions that can be built the debian way.
> I suggest a "section" on install process, asking if the user CHOOSE to
> install these restricted / unstable packages, warning about the
> consequences, etc,

By "editing  sources.list" you mean: "installing things from non-Debian
locations".

No thanks, this should not be part of the official Debian release
however big the pain IMHO, if somebody wants to make a custom Debian
Debian Distribution which does this, fine.

Sure, install things by default from non-Debian repositories isn't an option.

> http://www.debian-multimedia.org is venerable. And have codecs, java,
> flash, acrobat reader and more.  It should not be the default, but
> should be offered as an option.

While debian-multimedia.org might be a good source of packages for
users, I am not sure it addresses copyright concerns fully and see above
for non-Debian repositories.

Exactly. Btw, does anybody checked what's in debian-multimedia and can
be included in non-free or contrib ?

> Also, sources.list does not have contrib and non-free sections enabled
> by default today.

This was a concious choice. Contrib and non-free are not part of Debian.

Yes, but once the user add contrib and/or non-free we can add tasks
there. In the best scenario Firefox in a 'non-free enabled' desktop
would suggest you install the flash non-free plugin while you're
browsing a flash enabled website. I doubt it will make Etch, so
hopefully gnash will be mature enough for Etch+1.

Besides non-free/contrib tasks, i've worked on gnome-tasksel gtk+2
"port"[0] and will prepare some task suggestion code using libnotify
soon.

[0] = http://bugs.debian.org/368518

regards,
-- stratus