Bootsplash problems

Hi
I am trying to make debian etch have a bootsplash, and I have patched and
compiled a custom kernel, using the command make-kpkg kernel-image and
installed the .deb file. After that, I made a ramdisk file, using the
mkinitramfs -o 2.6.17 2.6.17.8 and have put this in
the /etc/mkinitramfs/modules file:
piix
ext3
libata

After that, I did as the bootsplash.org site indicated, with
splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/themes/debian/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg(This
might be the wrong filename, but I used tab completion, so I got it right on
the box)

After having appended the needed changes to /boot/grub/menu.lst I rebooted and
lo and behold! The bootsplash appeared! Alas, it gives me kernel panic not
syncing VFS: unable to mount root filesystem

So I tried making a new initrd with mkinitramfs but this time I didn't append
the splash, and now it boots fine, but without the splash. So, appearantly it
can't boot if I use the splash command on it, does anyone know any way to
work around this? I tried statically compiling in the modules I have in the
ramdisk, but it still gives me that error.
Any help _greatly_ appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Regards
Jon Jahren