Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

Em Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:51:39 +0300
"Eddy Petrişor" <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> escreveu:

> On 13/08/06, Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> wrote:
> > a Ubuntu CD; I patched the program to also look for Debian CDs, and
> > to avoid messing with translations, the messages have Ubuntu
> > replaced by Debian in runtime, after the translation is got from
> > gettext if the CD that was inserted is a Debian CD.
>
> Please DON'T do that! In some languages, like Serbian or Romanian,
> substantives do decline, have genders and may change form according to
> context. Thus I suggest doing the right thing and replace strings only
> in the original string properly and allow translators to decide what's
> best for their language.

Oh, ok, I thought that could come up. I'll provide one more string,
then, or perhaps replace the distribution name with a %s, and add
Ubuntu and Debian as independent translatable strings, does that sound
good?

Thanks,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>