Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

Hey there Jonas!

Em Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:26:43 +0200
Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> escreveu:

> Both synaptic and aptitude maintain extended package info outside of
> the shared APT database (which packages are explicitly picked for
> installation and which are automatically pulled in), but as that
> extended info is specific to the tool, sometimes using a different
> tool cripples the info.

I don't remember synaptic keeping extended package info; The aptitude
feature is being included in libapt proper (already in experimental),
AFAIK, although I don't think it is going to be in Etch.

Quote from changelog:

   * added support for aptitude like auto-install tracking (a HUGE
     HUGE thanks to Daniel Burrows who made this possible)

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.6.45exp1/changelog

> So, in short, is this cool new feature tied to synaptic or apt-get?
> Ideally this should invoke some wrapper overridable through
> the /etc/alternatives mechanism...

update-notifier uses update-manager as a simple UI, which in turn uses
synaptic, and also uses synaptic directly for some actions; I'm not
sure how easy it would be to make it use aptitude...

I've been using aptitude concurrently with update-manager for sometime
now with no problems.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>