KDE4stable - a proposal

Good morning

I hate double made work. But I love debian and I love KDE. The only problem is
that Debian stable has an outdated KDE version after some time.

The solution is backporting the current KDE version to Debian stable. It's
done by different projects (see below) and different projects need a backport
of the current KDE version.

So why shouldn't we join forces and work together on a backport of KDE for
Debian stable (and derivate distributions).

My proposal follows now in less and more detail.

Short version:

More details:
-------------

Here are some more ideas:
- Some releaseplan:
-> make quickly first packages (together with the Debian KDE/Qt Team and
Kubuntu team) (State: unusable)
-> announce workable packages (State: testable)
-> declare them stable for productive use (state: usable)
(States similar to stable, testing and unstable. This way the user sees the
state of the packages at once.)
- Provide security support for the packages declared 'usable'.
- We restrict on some architectures (i386, amd64, powerpc, ...)
- We garantee a smooth migration path to the next stable version of Debian
(i.e. the backported KDE version should always be a version less than the
version in Debian testing/unstable).
- Additional backport of further KDE applications.

Future perspective:
-------------------
Debian Etch will probably released with KDE 3.5.x and not KDE 4.x. So if we
have to infrastructure we could shortly after present a Debian stable etch
version with the current KDE.

I'm (and surely others too) interested in your opinion and if you like to work
with us.

And last but not least, here are some information about me:
Primary school teacher, student in education and computer sciences.
Longstanding Debian user and trying to give something back (e.g. DDTP
translations and YaST4Debian [2]).
My best skills are not (yet) programming but coordination, documentation and
organisation.

Why specifically this mailing list (different in each mail)?
-> development list of the DCC Alliance (with members like Linspire, Knoppix
and Progeny)
-> development list of the Ekhis/Kalyxo project
- http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
-> development list of the Kubuntu distribution

Possible next steps:
- As the release of KDE 3.5 is imminent we could together start with the
packaging work of KDE 3.5 (based on the work

Last not: I don't intent to steal some work of any project but I think we
could join the forces which would facilitate a lot. I appreciate all the work
you all do!

I wish you all a good week
Mario

[1] http://alioth.debian.org
[2] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/yast4debian

PS: I'm subscribed to every mailing list I'll post this message to. So it's
not necessary to CC: me.
PPS: Sorry for the unperfect english ;-).