Scrolling in gnome list boxes.

I just installed debian/gnome and note that the listboxes have trouble scrolling: they clip the bottom off of a line leaving only a few pixel at the top, as if it simply didn't have time to paint the whole line. One ends up with a list full of these unreadable partial lines scrolling. They only return to their full size when scrolling is stopped. This is annoying to the point of uselessness. One must scroll a short while, and then stop to see just where you are in the list. This must be especially troublesome on slower machines than mine (2.4Ghz). Is this just something that users of debian/gnome have to live with? Or is there some setting that fixes it?
--

"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to
narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make